Thursday, July 8, 2010

One dead, one hurt in Dixie Pipeline propane explosion in Georgia

THOMSON, Ga. - An accident on the morning of July 5 involving a propane pipeline in the McDuffie County community of Thomson killed a man, and injured his father, a county commissioner.
Commissioner Paul McCorkle was listed in fair condition in Augusta. His son, Jason McCorkle, 23, died.
A preliminary investigation indicates Paul McCorkle was operating a bulldozer on the property near 390 Stagecoach Road and accidentally struck a Dixie Pipeline liquid propane gas line.
Dixie said it was not contacted for a line locate prior to the accident.
It happened shortly before 11 a.m. near the Belle Meade Country Club.
Two homes caught fire in the explosion, which spread over several acres of land through the afternoon. The fire chief in Thomson said the propane-fueled fire was expected to continue burning for at least 24 hours.
Law enforcement officials said the father and son hit the 30-year-old Dixie Pipeline while clearing land, setting off the explosion and fire.
McDuffie Fire Chief Bruce Tanner said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is launching an inquiry into the explosion. He estimated the McCorkles only had seconds before the liquefied propane gas ignited.
Allen said the explosion and fire destroyed the house of another family member, John McCorkle, and also started fires in nearby woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment